Finance Manager Kaiwhakahaere Pūtea
Finance managers oversee the major financial operations of an organisation.
Employers prefer to hire finance managers who are registered with a professional body such as Chartered Accountants Australia New Zealand (CA ANZ) or CPA Australia.
To become a Chartered Accountant (CA) or a Certified Practising Accountant (CPA) you must:
- complete a degree from an approved university
- complete three years of professional experience
- complete qualifications set by CA ANZ or CPA Australia.
- Chartered Accountants Australia New Zealand website - information on becoming a chartered accountant
- CPA Australia website - information about becoming a certified practising accountant
Finance managers may do some or all of the following:
- oversee cash flow and account management
- assess and manage risks
- prepare budgets and documents such as annual reports
- undertake financial forecasting
- provide financial advice to the organisation
- make decisions on how to invest the organisation's money
- undertake operational reporting and analysis to ensure the organisation achieves financial targets
- monitor and report on financial trends
- supervise the finance team
- ensure policies, procedures and legal requirements are followed correctly.
Useful experience for finance managers includes:
- financial or accounting experience
- management experience.
Finance managers need to be:
- able to lead others
- able to think critically and analytically
- accurate with high attention to detail
- strong communicators
- confident decision-makers.
Finance managers need to have knowledge of:
- finance and accounting theory
- budgets, financial modelling and financial reporting
- computer and accounting software.
- usually work regular business hours, but may work evenings or weekends to meet deadlines
- work in offices, but may travel to visit clients.
A tertiary entrance qualification is required to enter further training. Useful subjects include accounting, economics, business studies, English and maths.
Finance managers may progress to become managing directors or chief executives.
Years Of Training3 years of training usually required.
To become a finance manager you need to have a Bachelor's degree majoring in finance or accounting.